[PCA] JOBS: Native Plant/Botany Internships (South Carolina)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Fri Jun 23 14:55:34 CDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:57:28 -0400
From: Wiegand <wiegand at ntelos.net>
Subject: Native Plant/Botany Internships

Internship positions in South Carolina.

Botany Invasive Species Team Internship
Marion and Sumter National Forests, SC
9/18/2006- 12/22/2006

Do you want to help our environment and our national lands while
experiencing first-hand a new location in our country? SCA, in
partnership with the United States Forest Service (USFS), is taking part
in a nationwide effort to eradicate invasive plants on our national
lands. An "invasive species" is defined as a species that is non-native
(or alien) to the ecosystem under consideration and whose introduction
causes or is likely to cause economic, environmental, or human health
harm. "Without understanding.and having considerable resources going into
the matter of controlling alien invasives, the goals.of preserving
biodiversity cannot be met" - Peter Raven. Learn more about invasive
plant issues at: www.nature.nps.gov/biology/invasivespecies. SCA is
actively seeking a team of volunteers to help control invasive plants in
the Marion and Sumter National Forests and surrounding districts. Learn
more about Marion and Sumter National Forests at www.fs.fed.us/r8/fms/.
Marion and Sumter National Forests comprise approximately 624,00 acres of
national forest land and provides habitat for numerous wildlife species
such as black bear, deer, boar, fax, turkey and countless waterfowl
including nine endangered animal and plant species plus eight threatened
animal and plant species. This team will consist of 1 SCA staff Project
Leader and 4 SCA interns and will focus much of its efforts in
mountainous and prairie environments on manual and chemical removal of
Chinese Privet, Autumn Olive and various additional invasive plant
species.

Invasive plant removal through manual and mechanical means; GPS mapping
of project sites; data collection on surveys, treatments, and monitoring
activities: 85%; community outreach and educational activities: 15 %. You
will employ hand tools, chainsaws and backpack sprayers. The team may
have the opportunity to conduct some native plant restoration in aquatic
environments.

Require: Valid driver's license; willingness to use chemical and
non-chemical invasive plant control methods; excellent interpersonal
skills; good physical condition; ability to carry up to 40 lbs. up to 5
miles over steep terrain; interest and willingness to live in close
quarters with fellow team members; desire to travel and a sense of
adventure.

Desire: Coursework or field experience in botany, ecology, resource
management, environmental science; experience using GPS technology;
experience operating power equipment and 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Please send cover letter & resume to: joinus at thesca.org

Botany Invasive Species Team Internship
Congaree National Park, SC
9/19/2006-2/20/2007

Do you want to help our environment and our national parks while
experiencing first-hand a new location in our country? SCA, in
partnership with the National Park Service's (NPS) Exotic Plant
Management Team (EPMT) program, is taking part in a nationwide effort to
eradicate invasive plants in our national parks. An "invasive species" is
defined as a species that is non-native (or alien) to the ecosystem under
consideration and whose introduction causes or is likely to cause
economic, environmental, or human health harm. "Without understanding.and
having considerable resources going into the matter of controlling alien
invasives, the goals.of preserving biodiversity cannot be met" - Peter
Raven.

Learn more about invasive plant issues and the park service's approach
at: www.nature.nps.gov/biology/invasivespecies.

SCA is actively seeking a team of volunteers to help in the control of
invasive plants in various parks in South Carolina, North Carolina,
Georgia and Alabama. The team will travel and work for 8-day hitches with
6 days off in 8 parks in the South Atlantic region including, but not
limited to: Congaree National Park, Cape Hatteras National Park,
Cumberland Island National Seashore, Horseshoe Bend National Military
Park, Fort Sumter National Monument and Kennesaw Mountain National
Battlefield Park. Learn more about these amazing parks at: www.nps.gov.
The team's home base will be in Columbia, South Carolina, just outside of
Congaree National Park. Congaree National Park preserves the largest
intact tract of old-growth floodplain forest in North America and is
designated as an International Biosphere Reserve. Learn more at:
www.nps.gov/cosw. The team will consist of 1 SCA staff Project Leader and
4 SCA interns. Target species for the South Atlantic region include
Kudzu, Japanese Knotweed, English Ivy, Tree of Heaven and Oriental
Bittersweet.

Responsibilities: Invasive plant removal through manual and mechanical

             Send cover letter & resume to: joinus at thesca.org