[PCA] WEB: Invaders Citizen Science Program

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Mon Jan 23 08:33:06 CST 2006

From: Damon Waitt <dwaitt at wildflower.org>

Speaking of Citizen Science Programs, here is more information about the
Invaders Citizen Science program discussed at the last PCA meeting:

The Invaders Citizen Science Program was developed by a consortium of Botanic
Gardens, Natural History Museums, Zoos, and Aquaria in partnership with Sea
Studios Foundation, National  Geographic and Vulcan Productions and launched on
April 20 when National Geographic's Strange Days on Planet Earth TV series
premiered its opening episode about invaders on PBS.

The Invaders Program is a campaign whereby volunteer "citizen scientists" are
trained using a specially developed Invasive Species Early Detection and
Reporting Kit. With this kit, volunteers can help detect invaders' arrival and
dispersal in their own local areas. They deliver that information into a
national database and to local regulatory agencies who can do something about
it.  The premise is simple.  The more trained eyes watching for invasives, the
better our chances of lessening or avoiding damage to our native landscape. The
kit has been field tested by several of the Invaders consortium partners which
include Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower, Missouri
Botanical Garden, New England Aquarium, North Carolina Museum of Natural
Sciences, and Woodland Park Zoo.

See http://www.texasinvasives.org/Citizen_Science/citizen.html and
http://www.desertmuseum.org/invaders/ for program specifics at the Lady Bird
Johnson Wildflower Center and Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.

We are seeking to expand the consortium in 2006 to include 4-6 new partners who
are interested in launching citizen-science based early detection and reporting
programs at their intitutions. Please contact me if you are interested in
participating or would like more information.

Best regards,

Damon

Damon E. Waitt, Ph.D.
Senior Botanist
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
4801 La Crosse Ave. Austin, Texas 78739-1702
email: dwaitt at wildflower.org
web: http://www.wildflower.org
phone: 512.292.4200
fax: 512.292.4627