[PCA] Proposed definition for "Native Plant"

Maryann Whitman maryannwhitman at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 10:51:42 CDT 2006

I don't think that the European conception would be particularly useful in North America; we're starting at a discrete and definable point in our ecological history--something that was not feasible in the European scenario--at least not the way we can still do it.

I would be in favor of defining our point of 'ab initio' as European contact. It's a matter of stability of ecosystems--or *time* to regain dynamic balance. We could consider the effect of aboriginals as analogous to the effect of any other large fauna.

Even as I express this notion I can see problems. How do we classify plants that have been introduced, have naturalized, or have found a niche and are not presenting significant competition to natives: I have in mind plants like chicory (Cichorum intybus).

Maryann Whitman
Editor, Wild Ones Journal
www.for-wild.org