[PCA] medicinal plant information

Johnson, Brian brianjohnson at bbg.org
Wed Aug 16 15:10:43 CDT 2006

Dear all,

Botanic Gardens Conservation International (U.S.) is developing a
classroom curriculum module about plant conservation for middle school
students.  The curriculum will involve six 50-minute class periods, with
a culminating visit to a botanic garden or arboretum.  The lessons focus
on the importance of plants, basic plant biology, and threats to plants
worldwide.  One of the lessons about the importance of plants will focus
on medicinal plants.  Our curriculum team is seeking information on
approximately 20 medicinal plants.  The specific information they are
seeking for each plant is:

*        Chemical name of compound

*        Chemical formula

*        Name of plant it comes from

*        Geographic region where the plant is found

*        Impact the compound has on the human body (What does it do? How
does it work? How do doctors use it?)

I am reaching out to the PCA community for any assistance anyone may be
able to provide.  Is anyone willing to share or help find this
information, or to be a contact for our curriculum writers?

Many thanks,

Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson

Education Officer

Botanic Gardens Conservation International (U.S.)

brian.johnson at bgci.org

www.bgci.org

Mailing address:

1000 Washington Ave.

Brooklyn, NY  11225-1099

718.623.7215 (phone)

718.941.4774 (fax)

Sign up for Education E-update, BGCI (U.S.)'s monthly plant conservation
education email newsletter:
http://www.bgci.org/usa/newsletter/signup.html.

Disclaimer

This confidential e-mail is for the addressee only. If received in
error, do not retain/copy/disclose it without our consent, please return
it to us, and delete it and all copies from your system.  We virus scan
and monitor all e-mails, but are not responsible for any damage caused
by a virus or alteration by a third party after being sent.  Please note
that BGCI reserves the right to monitor e-mails for the purpose of
monitoring communications relevant to BGCI's operations under the
Telecommunications (lawful business practice) (interception of
communications) Regulations 2000.