[PCA] WEB: USDA's PLANTS Database Has County Data!

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Mon Apr 3 10:04:19 CDT 2006

I thought I'd pass along what I just noticed on the PLANTS Database:

3/7/ 2006 - Major Data Update
PLANTS had added 8000 new names representing 4500 new accepted taxa and
3500 new synonyms. Many of these are vascular plants of the U.S., and most
of the rest are agriculturally important. The U.S. vascular flora has been
completely revised with updated nomenclature, plant distribution, growth
habit, duration, and U.S. nativity. PLANTS now has county distribution
data for 48 states! We appreciate the help of the Biota of North America
Program in this endeavor. To the best of our knowledge all legal status
data are also current, including noxious weed status, threatened and
endangered lists, and wetland indicator status.

To access the county level type data, you'll need to use the advanced
search at
http://plants.nrcs.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topics.cgi?earl=advquery/adv_query.html

Olivia Kwong
CPC/PCA