[PCA] Meeting follow-up

houseal gregory.houseal at uni.edu
Wed Nov 16 21:03:37 CST 2005

Rob, all,

I was only able to attend on Tuesday, but I think your summary comments
are helpful.   I had much the same impression of the meeting, tho my
familiarity/understanding of PCA's goals is much less clear than yours.
  Discussions were wide ranging, perhaps necessarily so.  Some issues
(and solutions) have to be formulated on a more local (regional?)
basis, and perhaps regional PCA committees can be a useful vehicle for
that.

Nothing stimulates tinkering and productivity like economic
opportunity, and finding/stimulating markets for native seed is
crucial.  The major markets for native seed are government
programs/agencies, so influencing policies at those levels (federal,
state, county) would be effective.  Again, I thing other markets open
up as seed/plant materials become more commonplace and affordable.  The
Arbor Day Foundation trots at celebrities to promote tree planting
(plant a tree, save the planet, ugh...please understand, I'm from the
prairie biome where we battle tree/brush encroachment on the last of
the tallgrass prairie remnants!).  Does PCA have a budget for
thoughtful promotion of native vegetation/awareness of invasive species
on a national level?

Just some thoughts...

Greg

Greg Houseal,