[PCA] Invitation to NE Invasive Plant Summit September 16-18, 2005

Debra Strick dstrick at newfs.org
Fri Jul 22 17:36:15 CDT 2005

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

    I'm writing to let you know about the upcoming 2005 New England Invasive Plant Summit to be held in Framingham, Masschusetts on September 16 and 17th with an additional identification workshop on September 18th. For those of you already participating, thanks for your support. I hope you will consider sharing this email with others from your organization.

    As you are aware, invasive plant species pose a significant immediate risk to the integrity of our biological communities. With the public just beginning to gain awareness,  this event provides an unusual opportunity to gather with other conservationists, land managers, scientists, horticulturists, nursery industry representatives, policymakers, and concerned citizens to share latest findings and experts' recommended strategies.

    For the latest agenda and list of speakers, including presentations by Randall Stocker, Peter Del Tredici, Les Mehrhoff, Bill Brumback, Bernd Blossey and many more,  visit www.newfs.org or www.ipane.org <http://www.ipane.org/> .

Friday & Saturday, September 16-17, 2005

Second New England Invasive Plant Summit , Sheraton Framingham Hotel, Framingham, Massachusetts

Register early (by August 25, 2005) for reduced registration fees.

Registrar: Joan Deely at Joan_Deely at fws.gov or 413-863-0209.

Remember to register early for the "Early Detection Species" workshop, limited to 50 attendees held September 18th,  sponsored by New England Wild Flower Society, held at nearby Garden in the Woods

Registration Fees: Two-day $180 ($160 by August 25th) One-day $100 ($90 by August 25th)

Discounts for students and volunteers on a first-come basis

Hotel Reservations: Contact 800-325-3535 for special rates

Convening and sponsoring organizations: Invasive Plant Atlas of New England, University of Connecticut, Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge, New England Wild Flower Society, U.S. Department of Agriculture,U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Torrey Botanical Society, and the Massachusetts Audubon Society.

Thanks again for helping us reach out.  If you need printed information, or we can help with other questions, please get in touch.  I'll be on vacation August 1-14, returning August 15th.  In my absence if you need more information, please contact Cynthia Boettner, Coordinator of the New England Invasive Plant Group (NIPGro) is your primary contact at 413-863-0209 x 6 or  <mailto:cynthia_boettner at fws.gov> cynthia_boettner at fws.gov. (note underscore between first and last name.)

These are exciting times in the world of plant conservation and we look forward to welcoming you at the Summit.

Thanks for all your help and for sharing this message,

Debra Strick and Cynthia Boettner

Debra Strick
Marketing and Public Relations Director
Curator of Visual Collections