[PCA] Veteran botanist joins CPC national office

Mark.Barnett at mobot.org Mark.Barnett at mobot.org
Tue Aug 16 15:02:45 CDT 2005

Veteran botanist joins CPC national office

Bruce Rittenhouse has joined the Center for Plant Conservation as
conservation programs manager.

An endangered species botanist, Rittenhouse formerly worked for the National
Park Service in Fort Collins, Colo. He has more than 20 years of experience
working as a botanist with state and federal agencies.

Rittenhouse will work with CPC's participating institutions in assessing
plants that have been federally listed as endangered species and occur on
public and private lands. The nearly $500,000 project will help botanists
and policymakers determine which plant species can be recovered from decline
or extinction.

"I came to CPC to be a part of a team of dedicated plant conservationists,"
Rittenhouse said. "I am looking forward to having the opportunity to work
with the botanists in the CPC member institutions and the federal partners.
I am excited about implementing the current and upcoming projects that CPC
is working with for plant conservation across the United States."

CPC is a nonprofit organization that has been working for more than 20 years
to conserve and restore rare and imperiled native plants of the United
States. Founded in 1984, CPC works with 33 leading botanical institutions to
secure seed and plant material outside of native habitats, conduct
monitoring and restoration work, maintain a comprehensive database and serve
as a credible source of information about plant conservation.

A native of Salem, Ore., Rittenhouse has worked for the Bureau of Land
Management, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the U.S. Forest Service
in Oregon and Washington state. He received his bachelor's degree in botany
and plant pathology from Oregon State University in Corvallis in 1983, and
obtained his master's degree in plant ecology from Idaho State University in
Pocatello in 1990.

While employed with BLM, Rittenhouse worked as supervisor of rare species
compliance within the Northwest Forest Plan for the Oregon/ Washington state
office. As a botanist with NPS, Bruce served as the agency's representative
to the Plant Conservation Alliance, and he prepared and administered
cooperative agreements with partners, including CPC and its work to collect
plant material and seeds for all federally listed plant species occurring in
National Parks.

"We are very pleased to be able to add such a knowledgeable and experienced
professional to our staff - and excited about the new capabilities Bruce's
work will give CPC," said Kathryn Kennedy, executive director and president
of CPC.

Rittenhouse will act as a liaison between CPC member gardens and federal
agencies, oversee future projects, supervise management of CPC's database of
endangered plants and be responsible for CPC's conservation training
programs.

Mark F. Barnett
Communications Coordinator
Center for Plant Conservation