[PCA] New England Wild Flower Society Events and Courses

Debra Strick dstrick at newfs.org
Wed Sep 15 13:08:42 CDT 2004

Dear Member,

Read on to learn what's happening at New England Wild Flower Society and
its botanical garden and headquarters, Garden in the Woods. Be sure to
visit our latest <http://www.newfs.org/newlet04-5.htm>ONLINE E-NEWSLETTER,
with links to more articles, FAQs, and Society news.

The State of the Massachusetts Environment will be the topic of discussion
at a FREE forum co-sponsored by the Society on Thursday, October 14, in
Wellesley. Why is Massachusetts losing its position of leadership in
environmental protection, and what we can do about it? Jim Gomes, President
of the Environmental League, will deliver his State of Environment address
followed by an open discussion. Join us and learn how we can help reverse
the trend! For details contact registrar at newfs.org.

NEW COURSE CATALOGS are now available and include important articles on
strategies for breaking the invasive plant cycle.  Preview the course list
right now online at
<http://www.newfs.org/courses.html>http://www.newfs.org/courses.html. Greg
Lowenberg, NEWFS Education Director, calls this the best fall course lineup
the Society has ever offered. Highlights include 'Vectors of Invasion' by
invasive plant expert Jennifer Forman Orth ,  and landscape design
workshops in early October with landscape luminary W. Gary Smith (currently
creating a new master plan for Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center), and a
family "Full Moon Night Hike" for the Harvest Moon on September 28. Members
receive discounts.  Contact registrar at newfs.org for registration and
information.

ARE YOU A GARDEN WRITER -- OR WANT TO BE? Whether you are a professional
looking to hone your skills, or aspiring writer, the intensive writing and
production program running November 9-12 is for you. We'll cover writing
skills with a plant focus, publishing strategies, and a host of hands-on
activities with garden writing greats to help you succeed. Featuring C.
Colston Burrell and Lucy Hardiman, and co-sponsored with Fine Gardening
Magazine.

NOW IS PEAK PLANTING TIME FOR TREES AND SHRUBS. Choose from a great
selection of native trees and shrubs and new wildflower and ornamental
grass varieties to add to your garden this fall.

This is also a great time to plant perennials and grasses. Unusual  bird's
foot violets (Viola pedata) and multiple coralbell varieties (Heuchera) are
looking spectacular! For a great season now and a verdant spring in 2005,
select some fabulous ornamental grasses such as purple love grass
(Eragrostis spectabilis)  or bitter panic grass (Panicum amarum)-- new to
NEWFS this year-- to complement the lush butterfly garden collections we've
prepared in honor of the BIG BUGS exhibition. These selections will sell
out by month's end so visit soon.

SPECIAL: We're offering two Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks' for the price of
one (no other discounts apply). These are just coming into flower and they
are a great way to celebrate autumn in your garden.

As always, members receive a 10% discount and sales support plant
conservation, so join to indulge your plant passion and help the
environment at the same time. Visit <http://www.newfs.org/garden.htm>Garden
in the Woods to view the complete selection, or check availability online:
http://www.newfs.org/nursery.htm.

GARDEN TOUR: "Splendid Fall Gardens," a selection of choice gardens focused
on fall bloom in Westwood, Needham, and Dover, Massachusetts, is offered on
Saturday, September 25 from 10-3 pm, rain or shine. This promises to be one
of the great events of the season, so reserve your place at
registrar at newfs.org or call 508-877-7630 ext. 3303. A $25 fee ($30 for
non-members) supports the plant conservation programs of New England Wild
Flower Society.

NEWS FROM NASAMI FARM-the Society's new Nursery in Whately, Massachusetts
is BIG! Six giant new greenhouse frames are going up, capable of housing
the thousands of new plants we need as we gear up to supply the region with
native plants and serve as a key plant education resource for the area.
20,000 pots are already planted. Come out and hear all about it at the
<http://www.newfs.org/nasami/index.htm>NASAMI Farm Open House from noon to
4 on Sunday, October 17, rain or shine, and then mark your calendar for
Christmas Tree sales beginning November 27 and continuing on weekends
through December 11,  to benefit the Nasami Farm endowment fund.
http://www.newfs.org/nasami/index.htm

CONGRATULATIONS to some of our favorite NEWFS authors. Conservation
Department Senior Ecologist Elizabeth Farnsworth's piece on invasive plants
and their overall impact on rare plant populations is a must-read in the
latest issue of Rhodora. Judith Sumner, a distinguished member of the NEWFS
faculty, has a fascinating new book. Her American Household Botany, A
History of Useful Plants was just released by Timber Press and includes
NEWFS photos by John Lynch, Frank Bramley, Bill Larkin and Dorothy Long.
Bonnie Drexler', NEWFS family education coordinator, and Susanah Brown
Howland's BUGOLOGY is the ultimate family backyard nature book, and Gordon
Morrison, NEWFS illustrator, will be signing the latest addition to his
award-winning series, Nature in the Neighborhood, in person at this year's
Fall Family Festival on October 17 at Garden in the Woods.

And, finally
 BIG BUGS! The Bugs have already  brought tens of thousands of
brand-new visitors to Garden in the Woods this season, and awakened the
entire community to the wonder of plants and their insects. If you haven’t
yet been out to see <http://www.newfs.org/bigbugs/index.htm>BIG BUGS, come
enjoy the beauty of sculpture at Garden in the Woods in Framingham,  and
the wonderfully informative interpretive work and programs created by NEWFS
staff, and a great group of members and volunteers -- and we hope that will
soon include YOU! http://www.newfs.org/bigbugs/

With warmest wishes for an inspiring autumn,

Debra

Debra Strick
Marketing and Public Relations Director
New England Wild Flower Society
180 Hemenway Road
Framingham, MA 01701
voice: (508) 877-7630 x 3501
fax: (508) 877-3658
dstrick at newfs.org

If you DO NOT want to receive notices like these in the future, please send
email to remove at newfs.org. Please do not reply to this email directly. If
you are getting more than one copy of this message, or you would like us to
use a different email address, please email: webmaster at newfs.org. Thank you.