[PCA] Backyard gardens

Rick Huffman huffmanv at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 19 11:12:31 CDT 2004

I am a Landscape Designer with a Degree in Landscape Architecture and I have
worked with the South Carolina Wildlife Federation and the National Wildlife
Federation, American Council of Garden Clubs etc.... to develop a backyard
wildlife programs that encourage the use of native species. I am also
founder of the South Carolina Native Plant Society. The argument that by
promoting natives we cause harm in some ways to exploit wild populations or
pollute the gene pool for local ecotypes is one I have dealt with. The term
ecological restoration and landscape gardening are two distinct and things.
To promote the nursery propagation of native species that are not threatened
or endangered fill a void that would otherwise be filled by exotics, in my
opinion,  It serves native plants in general because the more we educate
folks about native plants and the habitats from which these plants grow they
are more inclined to support protection of the natural habitats. Also, we
have the opportunity to educate on exotic pest plants and the like so we can
serve the total ecosystem. My company does ecosysytem restoration as well as
garden design. With restoration, we are collecting seeds of local geno-types
and applying a plant community approach to projects. Hope this does not
muddy the water more.
 Rick Huffman,
Earth Design Inc, Upstate President, South Carolina Native Plant Society