[PCA] TV: David Mizejewski on the Today Show

Bruce Sorrie bsorrie at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 16:29:09 CDT 2004

Grinches all - I completely agree with Robert, and have thought the same
way for many years.  Although backyard gardeners may make a small
difference with local wildlife populations (mostly suburban bird
species, which are common), I doubt that gardeners can significantly
impact "wilder" species.  Additionally, there are particularly knotty
problems with planting native flora in backyards, as Robert has pointed
to - how is a 22nd century botanist to know that a woodlot population is
naturally-occurring or originally planted in a nearby yard?
    To those who suggest that planting additional pops of plants or
captive breeding of animals is a remedy for declining flora and fauna, I
say think carefully before you act.  Don't misconstrue my message - I
applaud efforts to prevent the extinction of species and of disjunct and
peripheral populations.  No one can say that we'd be better off without
them in the gene pool.  But backyard gardening and wildlife plantings
are not comparable to preserving genetic diversity of threatened species.
    My biggest knock against the practice is the notion that "wildlife
garden" plants and animals have equal value, or nearly equal value, as
truly wild ones.  As any zoo animal or potted plant knows, to be a real
member of a species you must live in natural habitat.

Bruce A. Sorrie
North Carolina

--

Bruce A. Sorrie