[PCA] TV: David Mizejewski on the Today Show

Bill_Reid at nps.gov Bill_Reid at nps.gov
Fri Jul 16 16:02:48 CDT 2004

This rather parallels the once-heated discussion of zoos as conservators of
genetic resources.  Zoos or gardens, of course, can only conserve a
fraction of the genetic diversity of a species.  And many--George Wright
long ago and Yan Linhart recently--have pointed out that every plant and
animal population is locally adapted.  For example, here in the Guadalupe
Mountains, the elk reintroduced from a different population ca. 80 years
ago have never really prospered.  But we do whatever we can do.  David's
statement, "But more importantly, I firmly believe that we can't have a
single approach if we're going to have any success in conservation," can be
restated as, "we cannot pass up any small opportunity for incremental
conservation."
Bill
 William Reid, Ph.D.
NPS Chihuahuan Desert Network Inventory Coordinator
Guadalupe Mountains National Park
HC 60 Box 400
Salt Flat, TX 79847
915-828-3251 x250 (w)