[PCA] Poplar Island Field trip

Sylvan Kaufman skaufman at intercom.net
Tue Jul 6 08:00:15 CDT 2004

Maryland Native Plant Society Field trip registration deadline extended
to July 10 for the Poplar Island Restoration Project!

FIELD TRIP TO POPLAR ISLAND RESTORATION PROJECT

Leaders:  Wayne Bell and Carol Jelich

Date:  Friday, August 6, 2004, 9:30 to 1:30

RESERVATION REQUIRED -- Contact Carol Jelich by JULY 10, 2004, (410)
827-7759 or jrj_csj at mindspring.com

We will travel by boat to Poplar Island to see the the Poplar Island
Restoration Project, which is creating a 1,140-acre island from dredged
material placement, approximating the island's historic configuration in
1847.  It will be interesting to see how the native vegetation and bird
populations have rebounded.  For further information on this project see
http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/projects/Maryland/PoplarIsland/index.html

We will leave the MES boat dock at Tilghman Island, Knapps Narrows, in
Talbot County, promptly at 9:30 a.m. and travel to the island.  We will
tour the island, have lunch, and return to the boat dock by 1:30.

When you register for this trip you will receive directions and
carpooling information.  No fee.

Bring:  Lunch, sun screen, bug repellent (less critical), and
binoculars. Spotting scopes are very helpful.

For further information and to register, contact Carol Jelich,
410-827-7759, jrj_csj at mindspring.com