[PCA] Help save an American Elm

Testutor Systems, Inc. jrt at testutor.com
Mon Feb 9 09:39:20 CST 2004

I need help with a letter-writing campaign to save an American Elm.

I have been notified by Marathon Ashland Pipe Line LLC that, after some forty years, they have decided to clear-cut the fifty feet of their easement along its length across my property in Granville, Ohio. I just met with them on Friday, February 6, 2004 and they continue to assert that all of the trees must be cut including a mature, disease-free American Elm that was there when the pipeline was installed sometime in the mid 1960s. Its trunk circumference is about 10' 9'' at eye level. I understand there are fewer than 5000 such trees left in North America.

While they have the legal right to cut the trees within their easement, I would argue that the Elm could be saved. Their need to observe the pipeline from the air and to get heavy equipment to the pipeline in case of a break is more than satisfied with the Elm standing. The Elm's roots will not damage the pipe since it is far deeper than Elm's send their root system.

I hope you will write to the following Marathon executives and Board members asking them to save the American Elm:

Clarence P. Cazalot Jr.
President & Chief Executive Officer
Marathon Oil Corporation
5555 San Felipe Road
Houston, TX 77056-2723
phone: 713-629-6600

phone: 713-629-6600

Home:

11935 Cobblestone Dr
Houston, TX 77024

Charles F. Bolden Jr

Marathon Oil Board Member
Senior Vice President

TechTrans International, Inc.

2200 Space Park Drive
Suite 410
Houston, Texas 77058, USA

Phone 281.335.8000
Fax 281.333.3503

Home:

803 Forest Lake
Seabrook, TX 77586

David A. Daberko
Marathon Oil Board Member
Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer

National City Corporation
National City Center
1900 East Ninth Street
Cleveland, OH 44114-3484
(216) 222-2000

Home:

33851 Old Kinsman Rd
Chagrin Falls, OH 44022

Gary R. Heminger

President

Marathon Ashland Pipeline LLC

539 South Main Street
Findlay, Ohio 45840

Home:

420 Westchester Dr
Findlay, OH 45840

Ronald G. Becker
President
Speedway SuperAmerica LLC
P.O. Box 1500
Springfield, OH 45501-1500

Home:

2633 Greenside Dr
Dayton, OH 45431

Speedway Super America is owned by Marathon Ashland and is trying to open a gas station in Granville.

Letters to the Editors of the following newspapers might also help:

Newark Advocate: http://www.newarkadvocate.com/customerservice/contactus.html

Columbus Dispatch: letters at dispatch.com.

Granville Sentinel: CPeterson at nncogannett.com

Thanks for all of your help with this,