[PCA] native plants for cities, stormwater management

maryann whitman maryannwhitman at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 21:26:07 CST 2004

What is the Center for Sustainable Resources? What is your position there
Fred?

M. Whitman

At 09:09 PM 12/8/2004 Wednesday, Center for Sustainable Resources wrote:

I have worked with the process you speak of quite a bit at times. In fact I
use natural vegetation to biofilter our aquaculture sites. Probably the
easiest and most dependable plant you can use for this is the cattail. They
are commonly used on mine sites now because they are so good at binding many
substances. Bog plants in general are very good at this. as they burn up
bicarbonates when the sun shines they collect metals in their root systems.
Yellow Flag( japanesenaturalized) or blue flag native but not much different
are also good. Some of the most problematic plants as far as growing over
the entire waterway are the native ones. Stay away from anything viny. Lotus
and lilly are good but need to be tamed now and then. If you are dealing
with a sewage treatment system bullfrog tadpoles are good for controling
bacteria but you need large numbers. Fred Hays