[PCA] News From the CPC!

CPCIntern at mobot.org CPCIntern at mobot.org
Tue Sep 30 16:14:10 CDT 2003

News From the Center for Plant Conservation:

Plant Conservation 03 Directory
During the last year we have been revising and updating our Plant
Conservation Directory, which now includes an on-line edition.  The first
DRAFT of the directory is on-line at our web site:
www.centerforplantconservation.org.  We welcome everyone to review your
state and region for completeness.  Please send any comments, corrections,
or additions to: cpcintern at mobot.org.  Please do not include private
business or consultants.  The aim of the directory is to provide users with
contacts who deal directly with plant conservation issues and can serve as a
good resource.

Peer Reviews for Forest Service Species Assessments
We are also working on a project to coordinate scientific peer reviews of
technical species assessments for the Forest Service in Region 2.  We are
seeking additional reviewers with scientific knowledge of the following
species that will volunteer their time to review these assessments.
	Bolophyta alpina   Wyoming feverfew
	Mentzelia chrysantha
	Oenothera harringtonii
	Oreoxis humilis
	Physaria saximontana Var. saximontana  Rocky Mountain Twinpod/
Fremont County Twinpod
	Physaria lanata    Wooly twinpod
	Sisyrinchium pallidum  Pale Blue-eyed Grass
	Telesonix jamesii     James telesonix
	pyrrocoma carthamoides var. subsquarrosa  Large goldenweed
	Penstemon laricifolius ssp. exilifolius
	Physaria didymocarpa var. lanata
	Saussurea weberi
	Shoshonea pulvinata
This is a valuable project that brings good science to overworked biologists
trying to synthesize the needs of many species and derive sound management
practices and plans for forest lands.  There is a small honorarium for
participation.  Please contact Megan Cotter at cpcintern at mobot.org or at
(314) 577-9456 if you are interested and I will send you additional
information.

More Progress for Attention to Plant Conservation
In a related development showing even more progress for plant conservation,
the CPC has been admitted to the Combined Federal Campaign!  We think this
is the first organization dedicated to plant conservation to be listed in
the CFC.  For the first time, federal employees can donate through payroll
deduction using the CPC's code #: 1333.