[PCA] Arboretum programs

Sylvan Kaufman skaufman at intercom.net
Tue Sep 23 15:46:55 CDT 2003

Adkins Arboretum is holding 3 programs in October:

Discovering Our Roots – Botanical Pioneers

Wednesday, October 1

10 a.m. – noon
Join Kathie Meehan and meet some of the early botanical pioneers who
discovered, described, and delivered our favorite indigenous plants.
Meehan was formerly the Smithsonian Institution’s Assistant Chief of
Horticulture. $8 members, $10 general public.

Tree Pests
Wednesday, October 15
10 a.m. – noon
Many insects and diseases are found in the forest and on landscape
trees. Join Robert Rabaglia of the Maryland Department of Agriculture to
learn about the species that occasionally become pests and affect the
health of forests and trees. Information will include a discussion of
the biology, identification, and control of common pest species. $8
members, $10 general public.

Enjoying Fall Color

Wednesday, October 22

10 a.m. – noon
Ever wonder about those amazing fall colors? Find out where the colors
come from and what triggers the changes. Which trees, shrubs, and plants
are responsible for the lovely reds, oranges, purples, and yellows in
the fall scenery that work in a home landscape as well? Join two of our
own Adkins docents, Chris and Julianna Pax, for a slide presentation and
a walk in the woods to observe our fall colors first-hand. Chris is a
Master Gardener, a volunteer at Thorpewood Environmental Center in
Frederick County, and coordinator for the Catoctin Community Supported
Agriculture project. Julianna is a retired chemistry teacher and former
nutrition science curriculum developer for Montgomery County who lives
in Cambridge. $8 members, $10 general public.

To register for programs, call 410-634-2847 x10.

Adkins Arboretum is located near Ridgely, MD, ½ hour east of the
Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Sylvan Kaufman
Conservation Curator
Adkins Arboretum