[MPWG] SAVE THE DATE & RSVP: Plant Conservation Alliance e-Meeting, Jan. 13 , 2020, 2-4pm/ Speaker Dr. Jared Margulies / Illicit succulent plant trade

Park, Margaret E margaret_park at fws.gov
Mon Jan 4 15:28:35 CST 2021

Please save the date for our first Plant Conservation Alliance general meeting for the year 2021 -- held remotely and open to all -- on Wednesday, January 13, 2020, from 2:00 - 4:00 pm ET. Join us in welcoming Dr. Jared Margulies, Assistant Professor of Political Ecology in Department of Geography at the University of Alabama.

***PLEASE RSVP TO ATTEND THIS MEETING – SEE BELOW***

 Topic: Illicit succulent plant trade and pathways towards sustainability.

What will you learn?

 This presentation will offer a broad overview of the threats succulent plants face from illicit trade in order to suggest practical opportunities to conserve a wide variety of threatened succulent plant species. In recent years, the concept of "demand reduction" has begun to inform and define global efforts to discourage illegal trade in plants and animals. To demonstrate the importance of social research to better understand the drivers of such activity, this presentation will highlight a recent example of illegal international trade of the U.S. native succulent species, Dudleya farinosa, being illegally harvested in California and exported to Asia. It is believed that illegal trade in this species emerged in response to sudden and widespread consumer demand for succulents due to: (1) the increasing popularity of succulent plants in mainstream South Korean and East Asian cultures at large; and (2) the preferential valuing of ‘wild’ versus cultivated plants by succulent consumers. Jared's in-depth research indicates a more nuanced perspective of the drivers of this emergent trade, with the primary demand coming from a selective niche community of succulent enthusiasts, rather than mainstream buyers of ornamental plants. These findings demonstrate the importance of critical qualitative research to explore the emergence and drivers of particular trading activity to inform targeted responses to them, as well as opportunities for practically oriented interdisciplinary research collaborations to inform more sustainable solutions to the illicit extraction of wild plants in meeting consumer demand.

About our Speaker:

Dr. Jared Margulies is an Assistant Professor of Political Ecology in Department of Geography at the University of Alabama. Jared studies political ecology, a diverse field that looks at environmental inequalities, human-nature relationships, and how contemporary social issues intersect with pressing environmental questions.  Previously, Jared was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Sheffield with the BIOSEC project, a 4-year research effort to understand the increasing linkages between biodiversity and securitization through the study of illegal wildlife trade. Jared is currently studying the global illegal trade in cactus and succulent plants and is writing a book on the subject. His other core area of research focuses on human-wildlife conflicts and the politics of conservation management in South India, work that was previously supported by a Fulbright-Nehru grant.

 ***TO ATTEND THIS MEETING, PLEASE***

RSVP by  ​Monday, January 11 to margaret_park at fws.gov<mailto:margaret_park at fws.gov>

The meeting login details will be shared via calendar invite and email with all respondents on Tuesday, January 12

This meeting will be hosted using Microsoft Teams. You will be able to join the meeting from the web or via the Microsoft Teams app that is available here:

https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fteams.microsoft.com%2Fdownloads&data=04%7C01%7Cmargaret_park%40fws.gov%7C541b8ebb8ee54c69629808d8b0ecca55%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637453878344093657%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=oNbUvc6lfaAZYUStcWAdy6m%2BT%2BKy9EJDtl2633u4bPA%3D&reserved=0>

***More information about the presentation will be available on our PCA Meetings page<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plantconservationalliance.org%2Fmeetings&data=04%7C01%7Cmargaret_park%40fws.gov%7C541b8ebb8ee54c69629808d8b0ecca55%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637453878344093657%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=BwraYIQQI%2FsN25wP77ZrsSRsYiYZVafkYUh7%2FAkhdDU%3D&reserved=0>.***

The PCA general meetings are open to everyone and follow this format:

>Updates on PCA Activities - learn about and get engaged in the Plant Conservation Alliance

>Invited Speaker – a topical presentation to explore any of the six focal areas identified in the PCA National Framework for Progress<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blm.gov%2Fsites%2Fblm.gov%2Ffiles%2Fprograms_natural-resources_native-plant-communities_national-seed-strategy_pca_Framework_6.11.2020.pdf&data=04%7C01%7Cmargaret_park%40fws.gov%7C541b8ebb8ee54c69629808d8b0ecca55%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637453878344103612%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=CM2QKox4Q5N5rE0cPqKm9nMsnNs2YFwUKKnAesa6n7E%3D&reserved=0>: collaborative conservation; education; restoration; research and development; sustainability; and information sharing

>Native Plants Roundtable - all participants are encouraged to share information on national native plant events and activities

—This meeting is brought to you by the Plant Conservation Alliance Speaker Organizing Team—

 Gary Krupnick<>Smithsonian Institution / Anne Frances<>NatureServe / Ray Mims<>U.S. Botanic Garden / Krissa Skogen<>Chicago Botanic Garden / Michelle Turton<>U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service / Maggie Park<>U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service/ Mandie Carr<>Chicago Botanic Garden