[MPWG] New paper concludes that working across sectors can help resource managers build resilient, adaptive and sustainable communities

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed Jun 6 11:25:30 CDT 2018

Some new terms (coproduction, knowledge networks), but conclusions are
familiar: Working with a diverse group of stakeholders improves resource
management outcomes and adaptation to change...

Collaboration Across Worldviews: Managers and Scientists on Hawaiʻi Island
Utilize Knowledge Coproduction to Facilitate Climate Change Adaptation

By Laursen S, Puniwai N, Genz AS, Nash SAB, Canale LK, Ziegler-Chong S
2018, Environmental Management

Abstract

Complex socio-ecological issues, such as climate change have historically
been addressed through technical problem solving methods. Yet today,
climate science approaches are increasingly accounting for the roles of
diverse social perceptions,experiences, cultural norms, and worldviews. In
support of this shift, we developed a research program on Hawaiʻi Island
that utilizes knowledge coproduction to integrate the diverse worldviews of
natural and cultural resource managers, policy professionals, and
researchers within actionable science products. Through their work, local
field managers regularly experience discrete land and waterscapes.
Additionally, in highly interconnected rural communities, such as Hawaiʻi
Island,managers often participate in the social norms and values of
communities that utilize these ecosystems. Such local manager networks
offer powerful frameworks within which to co-develop and implement
actionable science. We interviewed a diverse set of local managers with the
aim of incorporating their perspectives into the development of a
collaborative climate change research agenda that builds upon existing
professional networks utilized by managers and scientists while developing
new research products. We report our manager needs assessment, the
development process of our climate change program, our interactive forums,
and our ongoing research products. Our needs assessment showed that the
managers’ primary source of information were other professional colleagues,
and our in-person forums informed us that local managers are very
interested in interacting with a wider range of networks to build upon
their management capacities. Our initial programmatic progress suggests
that co-created research products and in-person forums strengthen the
capacities of local managers to adapt to change.