[MPWG] American ginseng is included in Chinese tariffs

plant at plantconservation.org plant at plantconservation.org
Thu Apr 5 08:21:35 CDT 2018

/CHINESE TARIFF ON AMERICAN GINSENG 'DEFINITELY CONCERNING,' WISCONSIN
FARMER SAYS/

"China's tariffs on U.S. goods target 128 U.S. products, including
almonds, wine and ginseng, which is facing a 15 percent tariff. The
root, used in herbal remedies and teas, is very popular in Asia."

Full article:
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/04/03/china-tariffs-ginseng-wisconsin

/CHINA, TARIFFS, AND THE HOGS OF WAR/

  "China is imposing tariffs on about 3 billion dollars worth of U.S.
exports. That's roughly the value of the steel and aluminum exports
from China that President Trump taxed last month.

  On today's show, we look at the list of goods from the U.S. that
China is going to start taxing and we talk to a hog farmer who
estimates his pigs have already lost 10 percent of their value."

Full
podcast: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/04/02/598920609/china-tariffs-and-the-hogs-of-war

/CHINESE TARIFF ON GINSENG IS A BLOW TO CENTRAL WISCONSIN/

  "One of the new Chinese tariffs on American agricultural products
will hit one region in Wisconsin particularly hard.

  The 15 percent tariff on ginseng produced in the United States is a
particular blow to central Wisconsin, which grows about 90 percent of
the U.S. crop of the medicinal herb.

  Eighty-five percent of that crop is exported to China, representing
more than $30 million in sales to the state’s growers, according to
the Ginseng Board of Wisconsin."

Full
article: https://www.wpr.org/chinese-tariff-ginseng-blow-central-wisconsin