[MPWG] researching the medicinal plant supply chain

Ann Armbrecht a.armbrecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 08:27:16 CST 2014

Dear MPWG,

This past September I had the opportunity to follow the supply chain of
FairWild certified plants from source to finished product, beginning by
visiting processing centers in Hungary and Poland and finishing up with
visits to Organic Herb Trading Company, Pukka Herbs, and Neal's Yard
Remedies in the UK. This research is part of a larger project gathering
stories of those involved in each sector of the botanical industry
(collectors/cultivators/processing facilities/traders/finished product
manufacturers, etc.) in order to document what is involved in creating
sustainable and transparent supply chains. I have posted some initial
reflections from this trip as well as, most recently, selections from my
interview with Sebastian Pole, co-founder of Pukka Herbs, about FairWild
and sustainable sourcing on the Numen blog:
http://www.numenfilm.com/blog/category/business-of-herbal-medicine/

I will continue to post additional selections from interviews on the Numen
Blog - though my plan is to create a separate interactive
website documenting these stories and outlining what consumers can do to
support sustainable and ethical sourcing. I'd love the input of others as
I develop this project, please drop me an email with suggestions you might
have.

Thanks so much,
Ann

--