[MPWG] ginseng poaching program

ForestRuss at aol.com ForestRuss at aol.com
Fri Jan 10 09:19:41 CST 2014

MPWG:

A new program had its debut on History Channel  yesterday 01/09/14  called
"Appalachian Outlaws.

The program appears to be more about the being a ginseng poacher than
almost anything else and I am uncertain how it could impact ginseng
growers...beyond making theft a thrill game.

One concern I have as a long time grower of black Cohosh in a forest
setting is that one of the poachers already has identified "dolls eye",   Actaea
pachypoda, as black Cohosh, a very incorrect ID.  They made a  point of
showing the fruit and the foliage.

As a grower of the medicinal black Cohosh plant I think that in 2014  black
Cohosh root buyers might have to be more vigilant in vetting their
purchases to make sure they aren't getting poison.

I would appreciate other peoples' thoughts or comments on the program

Sincerely,

Russ Richardson, Certified Forester