[MPWG] ginseng in the news

Colin Donohue colin at nnfp.org
Fri Sep 6 15:10:56 CDT 2013

Great input Chip.

Some system of local "seed saving" for ginseng would be a beautiful
thing.  A win win for conservationists and rural working poor who gather
the plant.  Could help sustain 'sang in the wild (normalizing prices)
and increase the overall body of locally-adapted seeds.

Given the millions (billions?) of ginseng seeds from Wisconsin planted
out in the Eastern forests over the last 100 (or whatever) years, I'm
not sure there is a "holy grail" of wild/primordial, genetically "pure"
ginseng.  Probably most of the ginseng genetics out there have been
handed down from plants that were cultivated.

But stewarding the populations that are in the woods now, and trying our
best to renaturalize populations from locally adapted seeds would be a
good thing.

Who runs point on working with FWS?  I recall some very productive
conversations with them around the edges of this topic (getting
alternative seed sources to growers/harvesters rather than WI production
seed). Would be good to rekindle those conversations if they are not
already rolling.

Are there plans for another summit of folks who are involved in
cultivation/stewardship/husbandry/research?  It seems like it could be a
good time for such.