[MPWG] Spicebush

Michael Schenk schenkmj at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 6 05:13:56 CDT 2012

Does anyone have information on medicinal uses and/or hazards of spicebush (Lindera benzoin), especially the berries?
In the past, I have used the berries for seasoning and as an arthritis rub. I also use green branches for grilling and smoking. I've seen a company advertise to buy berries wholesale. However, I'm not aware of commercial uses for the berries.
It's such a prolific and common plant that I'd be surprised if there weren't a body of research and folklore on it.

Cheers,
Mike