[MPWG] plant management advice

Batek, Michael BATEK at hws.edu
Mon Jul 16 14:27:15 CDT 2012

Hello,

My in-laws live on 80 acres on the periphery of a small town at the tip of Seneca Lake and are interested in help with managing some of the land to encourage growth of native wildflowers and medicinal plants (an Amish family farms and grazes cows on some of the land). While relief is relatively low, they have a stream running though their property. I'm guessing that an interesting and diverse variety of plants could be grown. I've checked with the county soil and water district, Cornell Extension, and still trying to contact someone at the nearest Nature Conservancy and United Plant Savers; however, I've followed the messages on this listserv and thought I would give it a try. I'm trying to find an option that wouldn't require too much work or financial investment on their part. Right now they are considering having it sprayed to kill off the goldenrod and other "weeds."  Personally, I was favoring a prescribed burn, but I don't know who does this around here, if it is allowed or even if ecologically appropriate. Your guidance is appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike