[MPWG] What do you think about this Plant Intelligence?

Lindsey Kay Tuominen lktuomin at uga.edu
Tue Apr 17 14:01:24 CDT 2012

During my graduate work in plant genomics, I have definitely been intrigued by some of the research in "plant neurobiology" or "plant intelligence" that has been trickling in now and then.  While I'm interested and hopeful about what findings might come out in the future, I have a hard time fully signing on as a *scientist* (as opposed to philosopher) to some of the ideas.  For example, "neurobiology" is probably too strong a metaphor to apply to organisms with no central nervous system.  On the other hand, certainly plants actively respond to and in some cases anticipate changes in their environments, as will be conveyed over the course of a semester by any good plant physiology instructor (see also the sLowlife exhibit).  The validity of the concept of "plant intelligence" somewhat depends on what we consider to qualify as "intelligence."  The evolutionary process is ultimately adaptive, and all organisms can sense and respond to their environment using complex internal molecular systems.  I think both of those are varieties of intelligence, just not the kind that humans usually hold most important.  The human-favored variety seems to be something like an abstract sense of self-awareness, but I'm not convinced that's the *only* kind of intelligence that is worth studying.

I certainly worry about the validity of "science" coming out of any group that fails a basic cult awareness test, which seems from Emanuela's account to be the case (although I do object to conflating "cult" with "New Age" -- overlap exists in that Venn diagram but the two are not identical).  I have to admit that the youtube video looks like one that could have been faked using some kind of CD of synthesizer music in the background.  Not that you couldn't potentially get some really neat stuff out of turning nutations or plant action potentials into audio signal...I'd just have to do it with my own hands to believe it.  :)  I did hear in an ethnobotany course that some individuals somewhere in South America (sorry, can't remember the culture) claim to tell apart different varieties of a certain plant species by the way the plants sing -- no electronics necessary.  I've been pondering that one ever since!

Take care,
Lindsey Tuominen