[MPWG] Bipolaris in WV

Lindsey Kay Tuominen lktuomin at uga.edu
Tue May 17 09:27:52 CDT 2011

Hi Robert--

My understanding (albeit limited) of the current rules is that the transgenics are not considered a new species, but they are considered a new genotype and "potential plant pests" for APHIS purposes.  The process for approval of their commercial use is basically one of deregulation via a series of field tests.

You're correct that "genetic escape" is likely, plenty of data out there on that, although persistence is not as well understood at this time.  Ownership of the plants containing patented genetic material (esp. when it comes to "patent immortality", the idea that the offspring of patented plants are also patented and that the patent does not expire at the end user) and who should pay for escapes/cross-pollination are also definitely visible legal issues already in play and being debated.  An interesting area of study for anyone interested in natural resources law/policy.

Take care,

Lindsey Tuominen
Doctoral Candidate, Forest Resources
Graduate Certificate Student, Environmental Ethics
The University of Georgia