[MPWG] Fw: NAPECA

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jul 1 07:45:55 CDT 2011

I've just learned about this exciting new Community Action grant program
being offered through the Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC).
I believe this is the first year for the program and I'm not sure what
funding amounts they are looking at. But, in reading over the information,
here are a few items of note:

Preliminary proposals: Due 22 August 2011
Projects start: 1 January 2012

CEC focuses on efforts in all of North America (Canada, U.S. and Mexico).
This is why proposals are available in French, English and Spanish (<
www.cec.org>).  Although it appears that proposals need not be conducted
on a bi- or tri-national level, this program might be a good opportunity
to think along those lines - or even to create linkages beyond North
America.

Preproposals should not exceed 3 pages!

Eligible Organizations
"The NAPECA program seeks to support efforts at the grassroots level. The
objective is to empower and build the capacity of local peoples and
organizations to improve their health and environmental quality.

Eligible applicants include nonprofit and nongovernmental organizations
(NGOs), environmental groups, community-based associations, academic
institutions, Tribal nations, and indigenous peoples and communities.
Grantees must be located in Canada, Mexico or the United States.

NAPECA will not support businesses, private individuals, municipal,
provincial/state, territorial and federal governments. However, proposals
from qualified organizations partnering with the private sector or local
government are eligible. Additionally, NAPECA will not support potential
applicants who are currently receiving or applying for funding from
Environment Canada for their proposed projects."

Follow the links for info on the priorities for this grant program and the
selection process.

2011 Call for Preliminary Proposals:
http://www.cec.org/Storage/126/15128_NAPECA_Call_for_proposals_en.pdf
Guidelines: http://www.cec.org/Storage/126/15132_NAPECA_Guidelines_en.pdf

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife Service
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>