[MPWG] White list & invasive plants issues...

Roy Upton herbal at got.net
Mon Oct 25 20:39:09 CDT 2010

I think it is important to understand that for regulatory purposes an
invasive is any non-native that interferes with something of economic
value to state or federal regulators. Those exotics that have not
caused any type of economically significant detriment are left to
multiply, morph, mix with natives, and do whatever they are going to
do. Of course, biologists would get into academic arguments as to
what constitutes a native. However, where the rubber meets the road,
at least in my limited experience, are the regulations and laws that
are put into effect against "invasives", usually precipitated by
another country's prohibition against the species or an ability of
gain some advantage from a trade perspective.-Roy

>Yes, how do you define native? I would contend that the Panax
>quinquefolius germplasm wild harvested from the Ozarks and supplied
>to Bob as part of his Panax genetic collections represents
>non-native, alien genetic material when planted in as part of Bob's
>collections in upstate New York. This Ozark Panax germplasm did not
>evolve in upstate New York. Political boundaries are irrelevant.
>Similarly, well meaning folks have planted lots of Echinacea
>purpurea along highways in Northwest Arkansas. Hence, they have
>planted a native plant to be sure, however the germplasm originated
>from European horticulture. These plants, while, the same species,
>are quite different morphologically from the indigenous plant
>material in this County. I have argued that we should be using
>propagules from the ACTUAL native plant material. So back to the
>question what is a native plant? How does one legislate this?
>
>On the issue of Chinese medicinal plants, the fact is East Asia has
>been the source of horticultural introductions to the West for
>nearly 200 years. A vast majority of Chinese plants now grown for
>clinical specialty markets have been in Western horticulture for
>many decades. They are not new introductions. Many rock garden
>plants of Asian origin are vicariously Chinese medicinal plants. And
>it goes both ways. There are many European and N. American plants in
>Asia and Europe. Lycium chinense grows at the edge of my yard,
>not-planted, not tamed. Japanese honeysuckle clambers through the
>understory. Hedera helix is pulled with each weeding of the garden.
>Perilla frutescens grows where ever it pleases. They are here
>because they are opportunistic, just like the Sassafras and
>Juniperus virginiana. They are all here because when this little
>town of healing springs, Eureka Springs, Arkansas, was "discovered"
>in 1877, the opportunistic white people clear cut every living woody
>plant in this forest, turning it into muddy wasteland as quick as
>they could. It took less than a year for the population to go from
>zero to 5,000. If we look at the roots of this issue rather than the
>minutiae of species and where they originate, the problem begins
>with habitat and plant community destruction, exacerbated by factors
>like the movie, Bambi which created a couple of generations of
>Americans who think deer populations are warm fuzzy,
>eyelash-batting, cuddly creatures which should be "conserved and
>protected." Bring back the cougar and the wolf.
>
>How does anyone define what is native, what is alien and what
>political border can be crossed where and when? How does one
>regulate or legislate any of this?
>
>Best regards,
>Steven Foster
>Eureka Springs, Arkansas
>

>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Oct 25, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Robert Layton Beyfuss
><<mailto:rlb14 at cornell.edu>rlb14 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>>Hi Ed
> [...]

Roy Upton RH, DAyu
Executive Director, American Herbal Pharmacopoeia

Shipping address
3051 Brown's Lane
Soquel, CA 95073 US
TEL: 1-831-461-6317