[MPWG] Fwd:

Roy Upton herbal at got.net
Mon Oct 25 14:52:52 CDT 2010

Hello All,

I am new to the invasive species conversation but have learned a
tremendous amount about the subject having been involved in pesticide
spraying programs  here in California against the Light brown apple
moth (LBAM).

Managing invasive species appears to be a cash cow for State and
Federal Regulatory agencies because at any time, they can deem the
simple presence of an invasive as an emergency, with no scientific
review, and implement broad ranging invasive management or
eradication programs. This also allows the same agencies to seek
funding through emergency channels  that would otherwise not be
available to them.

There is no doubt there is a need to be aware and sometimes act on
invasives. But, working with entomology and IPM experts in California
have made it clear that a different paradigm of identifying and
managing invasives is needed. Working with LBAM it was very clear
that regulatory scientists painted the worst case theoretical
scenario of the threat of LBAM, a superficial leaf roller that is
almost identical to native species of totrixes (e.g. orange tortrix).
Orange tortrix, like many other leafrollers (including LBAM) are
seldom problems in healthy agriculture systems, are easily and
cost-effectively managed in agriculture settings, and do not prevent
international trade of the commodities from areas hre the "invasive"
is endemic.

What we also learned is that regulatory agencies cherry pick their
scientists to act on "expert advisory committees" and then those
scientists cherry pick the scientific literature to justify their
eradication programs. These programs almost always mean greater use
of pesticides, greater burdens on farmers, and often pits communities
against agriculture and agriculture against regulatory agencies,
especially small farmers. The larger mono-crop agribusinesses are
typically fine because they are team players with the regulators
while oftentimes the small or organic farmer is out of the fold. It
is a very unhealthy dynamics that is created largely around the
management of invasives.

The regulators also hire "independent" scientists to publish papers
that establish that use of pesticides is more effective and "less
destructive" than manual removal of invasives.

Lastly, USDA is abut to start a marketing campaign and declared
September "Invasive Species Awareness month" with the primary goal of
getting the public to be more accepting of their pest eradication
programs. A commercial that was created for LBAM showed a little girl
running theugh woods that were disappearing before her eyes and
eventually she disintegrated into nothing implying that LBAM was
going to destroy the ecosystem and, as has been the mantra of the
California Ag commissioner "Our way of life". They are using all of
the same fear-based rhetoric that fueled support for the invasion of
Iraq and keeps that machine going. It is sad, but they have become
masters of manipulation in this regard.

The scientists we worked with, which include world renowned
entomologists and IPM experts, emphasize the need for accurate
biological assessments to be made to determine real-world scenarios
of the impact of an insect before engaging in what are often futile
eradication programs (CDFA has been eradicating the same 9 species of
insects every year for 30 years). This can be done through climactic
modeling to determine the potential distribution of the insect, an
evaluation of its biology in terms of destructiveness, a comparison
with native species, ability to manage in agriculture systems, impact
on natives, etc. They also highlight that such a review must be
multi-disciplinary so the invasive is reviewed from a multi-faceted
perspective. Too often, the expert committees are made up of
scientists with a particular focus on eradication, or a particular
eradication tool, and lack the ability to look at the larger
biological picture of whether or not an invasive is truly going to be
destructive, beneficial to the ecosystem, or have not material effect.

As an FYI, the link below will give you an idea of the issues that
were at hand with LBAM, which we have found is very similar to the
issues associated with most invasives. It is a Senate hearing before
the California Ag committee. If you go to about 4 minutes into the
hearing the testimony provided by the panelists encapsulate the
issues of management of invasives very clearly. The panel also
includes a 40-year veteran with eradication programs with USDA who
was in complete agreement with our assessment of the problems
associated with current policies of managing invasives.

I hope you find this useful and informative. -Roy Upton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32UsXa3V94&feature=related

--
Roy Upton RH, DAyu
Executive Director, American Herbal Pharmacopoeia

Shipping address
3051 Brown's Lane
Soquel, CA 95073 US
TEL: 1-831-461-6317