[MPWG] White list & invasive plants issues...

April Bisner abisner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:09:22 CDT 2010

I agree with native since when being a good question.  Each state has a list
of exotic sp. versus native sp.  In NYC we had a list of natives and exotics
for the region.  Invasive introductions have caused devastation to
ecosystems and brought some species to near extinction. The chestnut blight
was brought here through exotic lumber or exotic chestnut trees.  This
fungus has virtually wiped out the native chestnut.  1000's of trees have
had to be cut down because of the Asian Longhorn Beetle.  Invasive sp.
decrease biodiversity.  Not all exotics are invasive but all invasives are
exotic.  Until we have an understanding as to how a species will affect a
given ecosystem we should not introduce it.  Native plants promote native
fauna, biodiversity, and a healthy ecosystem.

I don't think anyone should be forced to buy native plants. I do think
people should make educated decisions. After carefully reading and weighing
the evidence I think the educated decision will become clear.  It is true
that not everyone can afford higher priced goods. But if you look at the
longterm effect of our buying decisions you may find that that more
expensive item is going to last you longer or perform better and therefore
save you money in the long run.  If you look beyond that and query into how
that inexpensive item is made, what environmental regulations are being
avoided, and what labor is being exploited, you have to ask yourself if that
cheaper item doesn't come with other costs that you are not willing to pay.

Also, sometimes farmers markets are cheaper than the grocery store.