[MPWG] International Research Group for the Conservation of Medicinal Plants

Isla Burgess isla at herbcollege.com
Tue Oct 19 20:23:04 CDT 2010

Kia Ora to all,

You will all be aware that for the next two weeks the United Nations
Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) meets in Japan to discuss the
failure of the world to meet the Targets set at the previous Convention in
2002 to be met by the world by 2010. None of those targets have been met by
the world. This a serious situation for the world and largely driven by
consumer demand.

I am the Convenor for The International Research group for the Conservation
of Medicinal Plants that has as its focus both education and research. The
need for such a group became clear as I was researching the current
situation with regard to medicinal plant conservation for my final
dissertation for an MSc in Holistic Science at Schumacher College/Uni of
Plymouth in Devon, England.

The work of the Group will contribute to meeting several of the existing
Targets and the new ones currently being discussed.

It is not our intention to take the place of the IUCN Red Listings but in
the case of medicinal plants a potentially endangered situation can occur
very quickly and often by the time the criteria for the IUCN or CITES are
met ".the situation is pretty desperate." 3

I feel that an increased awareness of the current situation by the
consumers, manufacturer, companies, researchers and practitioners is
essential as one of many approaches to targeting the loss of biodiversity
and deforestation globally. This underlies the first project for which we
are canvassing for funding.

Please visit the website, would love feedback and any ideas you have.

There is also a Facebook page - your 'liking' it will increase interest.

Many thanks,

Ka kite,

Isla

Isla Burgess