[MPWG] In Twenty Years Chocolate Will Be A Rare Delicacy

Jennifer Chesworth cafesombra at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 12:09:43 CST 2010

I admit I haven't been keeping more than a casual eye on current events in
the chocolate industry these days, so thank you for the clarifications,
Elizabeth.

Jean -- A few years ago, Pauline Tiffin, one of the founders of the Fair
Trade Federation, was working as a consultant for World Bank on a project to
enable supply chain access via co-marketing and co-shipping of cacao for
small farmers in the Caribbean region. I'm not exactly sure where that
project stands now, but the fair trade chocolate market has been growing
modestly and steadily over the years, more so in Europe than here in
America. The British-owned Cadbury brand announced their intentions to
source 100% fair trade but was quickly caught up in a bidding war between
Hershey and Kraft, a bit of a hostile take-over by Kraft in the end and now
no one sees press about a major label going fair trade anymore. I am not
sure how Kraft or Hershey intend to do business with farmers but they do
move a huge amount of product sustaining who knows how many? hundreds of
thousands of farmers. The certified or registered "fair trade" label isn't
very welcome here in the US. I hope US chocolate companies can earn a
reputation for independently doing good business.