[MPWG] In Twenty Years Chocolate Will Be A Rare Delicacy

Jean Giblette hfg at capital.net
Fri Nov 12 10:27:48 CST 2010

Thanks, Robin.

Quoted from the Independent article:

"Despite price rises on the trading floor, precious little reaches
the smallholders who make up 95 per cent of growers, according to Mr.
Lass, a former Cadburys trader and ethical sourcing advisor who has
co-authored a book on the cocoa industry.
"These smallholders earn just 80 cents a day," he says. "So there is
no incentive to replant trees when they die off, and to wait up to
five years for a new crop, and no younger generation around to do the
replanting."

Note the main thrust of these articles, which is to celebrate the
genome sequencing in hopes that a genetic engineering "solution" will
be found, when all we have to do is incentivize the farmers to
replant on a regular basis and to maintain/enhance the resilience of
the small holdings.

These articles portray the microcosm of what's wrong with medicinal
plant production worldwide:  the growers are neither adequately
compensated nor rewarded for good stewardship.  At the same time,
industrial ag (including its ultimate manifestation, genetic
engineering) displaces the growers.  These dynamics are based on
social constructs, and social constructs can be revised.

Meanwhile, Mother Nature is waiting to reward us with chocolate and
all the abundance of the fertile earth.  All we have to do is follow
her lead and cooperate with her.  Why is this so hard for us to
understand?

Jean

Jean Giblette, Owner
HIGH FALLS GARDENS