[MPWG] Implementation of changes adopted at CoP15 - Amendments to plant species listed in CITES - medicinals and NTFPs

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Jun 8 12:55:46 CDT 2010

To Whom It May Concern:

This message is addressed to possible importers, exporters, and
re-exporters of CITES-listed plant species.  We would like to inform you
of amendments made to CITES Appendices I and II, as adopted by the
Conference of the Parties (CoP) to the Convention on International Trade
in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) at its fifteenth
regular meeting (CoP15).  The meeting was held in Doha, Qatar, March
13-25, 2010.  Forty-two proposals (including both animals and plants) to
amend the Appendices were submitted for discussion at this meeting, of
which 25 proposals were adopted.

The information below is provided to those who may be involved in the
international trade of specimens of these species.  Amendments made to the
Appendices at CoP15 enter into effect on June 23, 2010, and these changes
will be reflected in the CITES Appendices (<
http://cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml>) on that date.  Unless
otherwise noted in the Appendices, all CITES listings cover live and dead
specimens, and all parts and derivatives.

The following information may be of interest to you:

Aniba rosaeodora and Bulnesia sarmientoi added to Appendix II
<www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/pdf/Aniba-Bulnesia%20letter.pdf>

Changes to CITES regulation of candelilla wax (Euphorbia antisyphilitica)
<www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/pdf/CoP15_Candelilla_results.pdf>

In addition, HerbalEGram published the following article in their May 2010
issue on the eight Medicinal Plants Discussed at the 15th Meeting of CITES
<
http://cms.herbalgram.org/heg/volume7/05May/CITES_15thMeeting.html?t=1272654674

For the complete list of amendments made to the Appendices (including
animals) and additional public outreach information, please see our
website, at: <www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/CITES_CoP15.html>.

We appreciate your assistance circulating this information to others who
may find it of interest.

Rosemarie Gnam, Ph.D.
Chief, Division of Scientific Authority
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service