[MPWG] Japanese stiltgrass disease update June 2 2010

ForestRuss at aol.com ForestRuss at aol.com
Sun Jun 6 12:05:30 CDT 2010

Bob:

Probably the most important thing to acknowledge is that where I live and
work, the middle of the Appalachian Mesophytic forest, is a place of
exceptionally diverse and vibrant vegetation.  Unlike New England  where I grew up
and spent the early part of my forestry career, this area has  never
experienced glaciation.

In my work around West Virginia I have ample opportunity to encounter  vast
areas with limited vegetative diversity on nearly all levels.  This
limited diversity can be the result of multiple causes, including  past land
abuses such as: overgrazing, rapacious timber  harvesting, extraction of minerals
and fragmentation of the forest  through coal, oil and natural gas recovery
activities (which  could equate to parcelization and subdivision in more
urban  states)

I agree that in many locations being concerned with invasive species is a
lost cause with little hope for success.  Currently, hundreds of  thousands
of acres of West Virginia fall into this category.

However, in my own experience as a private forester, I have also had the
opportunity to encounter exceptionally diverse and productive areas of
woodland absent of all damaging invasive species.

Being able to experience both conditions on a regular basis has convinced
me of the benefit and value of containing or controlling the spread of
invasive  plant species into healthy woodland.

I am glad to see that Japanese stiltgrass has a disease killing it  locally
but there could also be additional problems to contend with  as several
species of native plants appear to show disease  symptoms similar to those
found on dying  stiltgrass.

I think that it is a comforting idea to imagine that we have large  areas
of Federal land like National Forests and National Parks where invasive
species may never be a problem and that examples of intact forest ecosystems of
all types will always be healthy and readily accessible.

However, 100% of my work is on private property in an area with one of the
smallest proportions of publicly owned land in the nation and very little
modern information is known about this land or the unique diversity it
contains.

Many private woodland owners that I work with, upon learning about the
unique ecological diversity of their property, choose to undertake management
practices and activities that will protect the diversity of what can
rapidly evolve into an important part of their legacy.

Such a response has only served to strengthen my resolve at the
justification of the expenses incurred along the way.  The beauty of  invasive species
management is in the beauty created by the absence of  invasive species in
an infected site.

As a point of reference.  Here at Crummies Creek nearly all invasive  plant
control measures are physical or mechanical.  Growing medicinal  plants
like Goldenseal, ginseng and black Cohosh generally makes the chemical
alternative unattractive.

Russ Richardson

In a message dated 6/6/2010 8:57:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,