[MPWG] Fw: Free Mountain Herbalist Series starts February 22 - Frostburg Maryland

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Feb 19 14:00:11 CST 2010

Forwarding this announcement for your info!
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 02/19/2010 02:58
PM -----

Free Mountain Herbalist Series at Mountain City Traditional Arts
The Appalachian Center for Ethnobotanical Studies, in partnership with
Mountain City Traditional Arts, will present ?The Mountain Herbalist
Series,? beginning Monday, Feb. 22. All events will be Mondays from 6:30
to 8:30 p.m. at Mountain City Traditional Arts,  25 E. Main St. in
Frostburg. The programs are free and open to the public.

 Mimi Hernandez, the coordinator for this series, is an herbal educator
whose courses balance traditional reverence with scientific understanding.
She?s a clinical herbalist and professional member of the American
Herbalists Guild, with a Master of Science degree in Herbal Medicine. For
more information or to register, call 301-687-8040 or e-mail
mhernandez at frostburg.edu.
February 22nd Mountain Roots
Discover the lore, tradition, and science behind the uses of Appalachia's
most popular
native medicinal roots.  Learn about Ginseng, Goldenseal, Solomon's seal,
Sassafras,
Yellowroot, and many more!    (6:30-8:30 pm)

March 8th Kitchen Spices for Health!
Cayenne, Garlic, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Paprika? Did you know that these &
other common household spices are great to have on hand for household
ailments!   Incorporate spices into your daily lifestyle and promote
wellness in the face of heart disease, diabetes,
arthritis, and aging!  (6:30--8:30pm)

March 22nd Medicinal Flora of Appalachia
The Appalachia area is one of the most diverse and abundant ecosystems for
medicinal plants.  Learn the fascinating stories of their traditional uses
and how science supports many of those uses.  (6:30-8:30pm)

April 12th Weeds! Healing from your backyard
Dandelion, Violets, Plantain, Chickweed, Knotweed, Oh my!!  Join us as we
discuss how we can put these and other backyard  ?weeds? to good use.
(6:30-8:30pm)

April 26th Kudzu!
Where does Kudzu come from and why is it everywhere?  What about kudzu as
a beneficial plant?  Come learn the answers to these questions and explore
the practical uses of kudzu as a source for culinary cuisine, animal feed,
basket and paper making, medicine, and much more. (6:30-8:30 pm)

May 10th Medicinal Mints
What do Rosemary, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Thyme, & Sage have in common? They
are all medicinal mints!  These lovely and fragrant members of the
Lamiaceae (Mint) family are just as versatile for health promotion as they
are in the kitchen.  (6:30-8:30 pm)

Mimi Hernandez. MS, RH(AHG)
www.mimihernandez.com
Coordinator, Appalachian Center for Ethnobotanical Studies
Frostburg State University
106 Compton Science Center
Frostburg, MD 21532
Office: 301-687-3136