[MPWG] Unknown disease/pathogen on Microstegium (Jap. stiltgrass) - on native medicinals, too?

marguerite uhlmann-bower 3moonsisters at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:38:38 CDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Patricia, I have many black cohosh (native) plants.

Two of them developed first, a light green to yellowing of their
leaves mid July. First one then the other followed suite. They were about 6
foot from each other.

About two weeks later their leaves began to turn a brown/black, which
traveled all the way down their stem. I had to totally remove them b/c of
not knowing for sure if this was the blight and, to not get passed onto my
other black cohosh plants (15 plants). These plants are about 150 feet from
the ones that became ill and are still without problem. They are in a more
protected area, under trees and mostly shade.

Is this what you have found with your diseased black cohosh? My camera was
not working at the time.

The two black cohosh that became sick were in partial sun and near an open
field.

Marguerite

PS: I live in Delaware County in upstate New York where this year June, July
and August had constant rain just about everyday *and*, the
temperature didn't get much above 75 maybe 80 degrees until the 2nd week of
August. Which only lasted for 1 1/2 weeks.

--

May our walk be soft and gentle
as we gather our roots once again.

Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower, R.N., Herbalist
TheHerbalNurses™
226 Kelso Rd. / Sanders Lane
East Meredith, NY 13757
(607) 278-9635