[MPWG] Microstegium disease update

ForestRuss at aol.com ForestRuss at aol.com
Thu Oct 8 11:49:31 CDT 2009

APWG:

About six weeks ago I posted a question about whether anyone had noticed a
disease killing Japanese stiltgrass, Microstegium vimineum.

The response and number of questions posted was very interesting and the
hope among resource managers and ecological researchers has been both
palpable  and exciting.

Results are in from samples of diseased Japanese stiltgrass that were sent
to labs in Indiana, West Virginia and Maryland.  All agree that the
pathogen killing stiltgrass is a fungus in the family, Bipolaris.

There are scientists and other participants in the APWG list that can
probably delve into a discussion of Bipolaris and the range of concerns from its
 potential as a biocontrol agent to its relationship to some extremely
serious  diseases of certain food crops.   All sorts of issues related to
Bipolaris have already come to light that are far beyond the traditional
training for a dirt forester like me but I would enjoy such a discussion.

Although I am extremely excited to see anything killing Japanese stiltgrass
 I am also concerned about some areas of severe mortality I witnessed in
native  woodland plants about the same time I was documenting all the problems
and  health issues that stiltgrass was having.

Purple spots and lesions appeared on the leaves of a number of species of
woodland grasses that were similar in appearance to those that were
developing  on diseased stiltgrass plants.

Below is a link to a research paper that briefly mentions  Microstegium.
The link was provided by
Dave McCann at WVU

_http://www.invasiveplants.net/monitor/28CogonGrass.aspx_
(http://www.invasiveplants.net/monitor/28CogonGrass.aspx)