[MPWG] Film Review of Numen: The Nature of Plants

Ann Armbrecht a.armbrecht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 13:23:41 CDT 2009

Film Revew – Numen: The Nature of Plantsby *Kiva Rose* on September 23rd,
2009
No Comments[image: Comments]

[image: numen_photo]

*Numen: The Nature of Plants* <http://numenfilm.com/>

A review by Kiva Rose

Anyone who has ever experienced the bliss and connection of gathering
Mullein flowers on a warm summer day or the satisfaction of facilitating
wellness in another living being, who may have ever known the incredible
healing power of the plants – is sure to be touched and inspired by this
cinematic exploration of herbal medicine!

The premise of *Numen* is very much in alignment with our work in the Animá
Lifeways and Herbal Tradition.  What they define as *Numen* in the film, is
what we call the anima, the vital lifeforce in the human body as well in
plants. The creators of the film also clearly understand that healing is not
just about tending our individual wounds but also those of our larger self,
this inspirited planet. This movie is rooted in the understanding that
healing can only take place in the individual self when the large self is
also being tended, and vice versa. There is also an inherent sense of the
magic of healing and the plants, a recognition that while science offers us
many valuable gifts and ways of understanding the world, there is something
akin to spirit and the miraculous in even the best aided results.
*Numen* inspires
its viewers to take their health into their own hands, to empower themselves
to reconnect to their needs and to utilize resources close at hand. There is
an invaluable sense of alliance with the plants, rather than just an
expounding on how we can utilize our “natural resources”. This
personalization provides the viewer with a very real connection with the
plants and process of healing.

[image: numen goldenseal]**

*Numen* is divided up topically into sections: an Introduction, Plants as
Medicine, Mystery, the Decline of Herbal Medicine in America, Disconnection,
Just Say Yes, Allopathic Medicine, Whole Plant Medicine, Business of Herbs,
Vis Medicatrix Naturae, Numinous Questions and Future Generations. Each
section deals with either philosophical or practical aspects of healing with
plants. From the opening scene of a woman gathering calendula from the
garden to the closing shots of children creating a gorgeous plant mandala,
the artistry and intent of *Numen* is clear.

The bulk of the film is based in conversation with practicing herbalists,
ethnobotanists, ecologists, those who have been healed by the herbs as well
as authors or speakers who specialize in related topics such as chemical
sensitivity, earth-based healing and ecology. I commend their careful yet
broad selection of knowledgeable and experienced guests. Each individual was
both thoughtful and deeply caring, experienced in their chosen field and
impassioned about their message.

Brimming with the enthusiasm, experience and wisdom of many great
herbalists, including Phyllis Light, Matthew Wood, Bill Mitchell, Rosemary
Gladstar, Deb Soule, David Hoffmann, Guido Mase and many more. I was
heartened and inspired by their compassion, insight and commitment to the
healing of not only we humans but also this precious earth and everything
encompassed within.

I must admit that I expected there to be a bit of the new-agey fluffiness so
common to recent documentaries on healing and spirit, but was pleasantly
surprised to find the whole feature to be grounded in common sense
observations, real life experience and understandings straight from nature.
*Numen* truly stands on its own as an exceptional film and testament to the
compassion and wisdom of the herbal community.

Indeed, I found myself completely drawn in to the conversation and close to
tears more than once, especially listening to the sage words of the late
Bill Mitchell and the passionate grace of Rosemary Gladstar. The filming is
both sensitive and evocative, presenting a gorgeous presentation of the
natural world through time-lapse photography, exquisite settings and a
wonderful emphasis on the microcosmic world of the plants.

*[image: numenbee]*

*Numen* is a film imbued with the spirit and every day beauty of the
contemporary herbalist. Not to be missed by any student of the plants,
whether you are just setting out on your journey or have been traveling your
path for many years. No matter if you are a gardener, wildcrafter,
herbalist, ecologist or simply someone who deeply feels the connection and
gifts of the living earth, *Numen* has something important and beautiful to
offer you.

Information for availability and purchase is included below, please support
this wonderful project and give yourself and your family the gift of a
deeper look into the profoundly healing world of the plants.

My personal thanks to Ann and Terry for taking years out of their lives to
create this precious glimpse into the living tradition of herbal healing and
the community committed to its continuance.

http://bearmedicineherbals.com/?p=746