[MPWG] Fw: Numen showing postponed (fwd)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed May 27 19:53:18 CDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Dear Friends of Numen,

After apologizing for sending too many messages, I'm sorry to follow with
yet another so soon and am especially sorry because of the news this one
bears.

While putting the finishing touches on Numen, our RAID array (6 huge hard
drives all linked together) had one of the drives fail. Functionally, it
means we lost all of the data.  We have a back-up of the film project
itself - but will have to either re-digitize all the footage (approx 60+
hours) or hire a data recovery service to recover the one drive that
failed; this can apparently be recovered - but it takes several days and
costs thousands of dollars ($5-7k). We are looking into our insurance
policy to see if it might cover the recovery and are considering other
options. But in the meantime, there is no way we'll be able to get it back
and running in time to show it at the Savoy Theater in Montpelier,   May
29th - June 4th. This has put Rick Winston, owner of the Savoy, in a
terrible spot.  He was incredibly generous in offering us this opportunity
and now he will have a short fall in anticipated income.  Please help
support him and all that he does to support local filmmakers by attending
other films showing at the Savoy.

We can't begin to tell you how much this devastates us - we have been so
pleased with how the film is coming together and so excited at the
opportunity to bring it to the central Vermont community. We will let you
know when we are able to re-schedule a showing at the Savoy.  For now, we
are making all possible efforts to reclaim the data with the goal of Numen
showing at the International Herb Symposium on June 20th.

In hopes of finding the wisdom hiding in obstacles,

Ann and Terry