[MPWG] Plant salvage revisited

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue May 19 11:02:32 CDT 2009

The trials and tribulations of plant rescues have been the subject of
discussion over this list many times over the years.

Below is an interesting article about a plant rescuer in NC, although
perhaps a bit misleading when it states, "All I need is permission from
the guy who runs the bulldozer,? he says, ?and I'm in.?

Here are some additional things you need to consider...

Different states have different laws:
>some states have state-run rescue/salvage programs (Washington)
>some states require people to get a permit/license to rescue/salvage
plants (Arizona)
>some require only verbal landowner permission to take plants off personal
property - others, permission in writing - or both (Indiana)
>some states require you to attach a special tag on any native plant that
is in trade - even if it came from another state (Arizona)
>some states have laws governing the propagation and sale of those rescued
plants (i.e., Michigan)

If it's listed as a state-listed species, there may be additional
requirements; but for some states, plant rescues aren't even on the radar
screen.  If it's ESA-listed, even if it's on your property, you'll need to
take extra steps (both on a federal and state level).  And, if it's
CITES-listed and you want to export it, you'll want to hang on to all of
your documentation, because you'll need it for your permit!

In some states, the builders, townships, and native plant societies
spearhead the work:
>some townships/counties require builders to conduct native plant salvage
on lands to get a building permit (Arizona)
>some builders invite native plant societies in to conduct rescues prior
to building (Georgia)
>many native plant groups have developed/are developing networks for
volunteer-driven salvage programs, for example:
Wild Ones (Wisconsin)
<http://www.for-wild.org/download/plantrescue/guidelines.pdf>
Virginia Native Plant Society plant rescue group (Virginia)
<http://www.vnps.org/conservation/RescuesPosPaperFinal.pdf>
Folsom Native Plant Society (Florida)
<http://folsomnps.org/newsletter/fnps_may_06.pdf>
Native Volunteers (Louisiana)
<http://nativevolunteers.org/faqs.html>
>some states have a partnership amongst all 3 of these stakeholde groups
(North Carolina)

Does anyone have a list of the pros and cons of plant rescues?
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 05/19/2009 11:33
AM -----

Olivia Kwong <plant at plantconservation.org>
Sent by: native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
05/19/2009 09:59 AM

native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org
cc

Subject
[PCA] NEWS: The plant hunter

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/408/story/732214.html

The plant hunter
Reed Patterson isn't a biologist. But he is saving Charlotte's flora from
the march of progress one leafy plant at a time.
By Bruce Henderson
bhenderson at charlotteobserver.com

It's a bright spring morning in northeast Charlotte, and a search is
underway for the plants emerging from a forest floor -- serious work for
five biologists and one impassioned plumber.

See the link above for the full article text.

Disclaimer
Posts on this list reflect only the opinion of the individual who is
posting the message; they are not official opinions or positions of the
Plant Conservation Alliance.

To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to
native-plants-request at lists.plantconservation.org with the word
"unsubscribe" in the subject line.