[MPWG] WEB: Havest & Deer Herbivory Effects on American Ginseng

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Mon Mar 9 10:41:03 CDT 2009

The full paper can be accessed with a subscription.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121572130/abstract

Contributed Paper
Interactive Effects of Harvest and Deer Herbivory on the Population
Dynamics of American Ginseng
SUSAN J. FARRINGTON*, ROSE-MARIE MUZIKA*, DAN DREES., AND TIFFANY M.
KNIGHT.
Copyright 2008 Society for Conservation Biology

ABSTRACT

Abstract:  Few demographic models for any species consider the role of
multiple, interacting ecological threats. Many forest herbs are heavily
browsed by white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) and a number of
these are also harvested for the medicinal, floral, or horticultural
trades. Previous studies of the viability of American ginseng (Panax
quinquefolius) have separately examined the effects of harvesting and deer
herbivory. We followed individually marked ginseng plants in 6 populations
for 8 years and documented deer browse levels, conducted helicopter
surveys to estimate the deer herd size, and documented 2 ginseng harvests.
We used this long-term data set to develop a stochastic demographic model
that quantified the separate and interactive role of these threats to
ginseng viability. Although harvesting and deer herbivory negatively
affected ginseng population growth, their effects were not additive. Deer
herbivory negatively affected population growth in the absence but not in
the presence of harvesting. Life table response experiments revealed that
in the presence of harvesting, deer herbivory had some positive effects on
vital rates because browsed plants were less apparent to harvesters.
Ginseng populations that were harvested responsibly (i.e., planting seeds
from harvested individuals) had higher growth rates than those that were
harvested irresponsibly. We concluded that both deer populations and
harvesting must be managed to ensure sustainable populations of American
ginseng. Our findings underscore the importance of long-term monitoring to
assess threats to viability and the need for a broad ecological
understanding of the complexity of ecosystem management.