[MPWG] Fw: Maryland Sustainable Forestry Act & the implication for medicinal ...

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jun 5 11:42:34 CDT 2009

Wanted to share this (the first) response from listserve member, Russ
Richardson, who gives a perspective both on the situation in WV and from
the perspective of a forester in response to these questions:

In Maryland, do Forest Stewardship Plants look beyond the trees and take
medicinal plants and other NTFPs in account?
Do any of you have material that provides insight on the merits of
including NTFPS in forest stewardship plans?
What other states have similar Acts?

Please feel free to post additional responses to the group.

Thanks,
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 06/05/2009 12:35
PM -----

ForestRuss at aol.com
06/05/2009 11:56 AM

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
cc

Subject
Re: [MPWG] Maryland Sustainable Forestry Act & the implication for
medicinal ...

Patricia:

I prepare a large number of Forest Stewardship Plans for West Virginia
woodland owners every year.

Information related to NTFPs is not a required part of the planning
process but it is one consideration the property owners can request as
part of their plan preparation.

My own experience has shown that by interesting woodland owners in the
economic or ecological significance of some of the understory plants it is
often easier to get them to understand the implications of proper harvest
planning and invasive species impacts.

I think it is far more important for resource professionals involved with
the forest management planning process to be able to identify unusual
habitats or significant populations of commercially or ecologically
important understory plants.

Generally speaking forest management and the forestry profession as a
whole is way behind the curve of understanding for all the facets of the
NTFP issue.

Russ Richardson, CF
Crummies Creek Tree Farm
PO Box 207
Arnoldsburg, WV 25234

Mortgage rates dropped. Record lows. $200,000 for $1,029/mo Fixed.
LendingTree®