[MPWG] Message from Dr. James Duke

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Jun 4 12:04:22 CDT 2009

Hello All!

Passing along a message from Dr. James Duke, whom I consider the Father of
Modern Medicinal Botany (to distinguish him from Dr. Richard Evans
Schultes, the Father of Modern Ethnobotany).  What I like about Dr. Duke
is the way he incorporates herbs into his everyday life and packages it in
a way that makes it interesting and useful for others.  Here below, you
can see that he's at it again!

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 06/04/2009 12:47
PM -----

May 29, 2009

Greetings!

It has been a busy week in the garden with several press appearances,
followed by the launch of my new website GreenPharmacy.com.

Eat your weed-ies

First, I was featured in an article about edible weeds in Wednesday's May
27 edition of the Wall Street Journal. Not only am I quoted in the article
"It's Salad Days for Weeds," but reporter Anne Marie Chaker produced a
folksy video interview with me that is available to online viewers. Read
the article here or go directly to the video.

Article:
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124338226000356493.html>
Video:
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124338226000356493.html#articleTabs%3Dvideo>

One thing leads to another and yesterday reporter Brittany Morehouse from
the Washington DC CBS station was in the garden for another interview that
aired locally last night on the 11 o'clock news. You can view the segment
at WUSA9.

Segment: <http://www.wusa9.com/video/default.aspx?mid=1136011363>

These media appearances give a good reason for me to start talking about
my all new website, GreenPharmacy.com, subtitled "Dr. Jim Duke's Botanical
Desk Reference" and produced in collaboration with Janel Hopper
Associates. On the site, we are collecting many of my past and present
writings. It should be a convenient way for people to keep up with my
ongoing activities.
  Website: <http://www.greenpharmacy.com/>
I'd be pleased if you would come by to have a look and let me know what
you think about it by replying to this message. You may also forward this
message to others  you think would be interested.

Reply: jimduke at greenpharmacy.com

My thanks to Aceer Foundation for its generous sponsorship of the site.

Sincerely,

Jim Duke
GreenPharmacy.com