[MPWG] Hamamelis & hazelnuts

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jul 31 08:55:42 CDT 2009

Folks:

I must have checked out when this discussion started.  I was so focused on
the fact that it's hard to get trade information, that the following
completely slipped by me:  Hazelnuts are derived from Corylus species;
witchhazel is from Hamamelis. Corylus  is all over Europe.

Corylus bears nuts, while Hamamelis bears capsules that eject seeds. It's
the old "common name" trap!

That said, there are opportunities for NTFP development for both species.
We do have a U.S.-native Corylus species. Witchhazel seeds, would be about
the size of sunflower seeds - that apparently (haven't eaten them myself)
taste like pistachios.

Hope that helps clear things up a little.
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Goods From The Woods <penny at pinenut.com>
Sent by: mpwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
07/31/2009 12:23 AM

MoonBranch Botanicals <moonbranch at earthlink.net>
cc
mpwg at lists.plantconservation.org
Subject
Re: [MPWG] Findings: Polish Production of Hamamelis virginiana

Robin
My best guess is that the demand far exceeds U.S. production. It is often
cited as the most used botanical in the world. There are several news
article citing American Distillers yearly tonnage.
http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=5130
http://www.*yankee*magazine.com/issues/2008-11/.../*witch*-*hazel*/all
But, they only harvest in the winter and then chip whole trees. I find the
winter harvesting to be very odd, as there are so few phytos when a plant
is dormant and the lumber, for lack of a better term, would have very
little in term of active ingredients.

I say this because we are getting calls on a regular basis for HUGE
quantities of distillate. About a week ago, a chemical company sent an
email for 125,000 gallons and we use 8 lbs of fresh material per gallon
(leaves and small twigs -no tree trunks).

Other species, like  Hamamelis mollis in China might be replacing it.  I
would love to see AHPA tracking Hamamelis virginiana tonnage. I am certain
there better informed people on the list than myself, who might  shed some
light on this.

Thank you for commenting,
Penny Frazier
A Wild Crops Farm
www.wildcrops.com

> As a producer of raw botanicals I do find that interesting, and a bit
disturbing.

> In your opinion do you believe this speaks to a "miss-identification of
species" issue or to bogus USDA NOP certification issues?

> Thanks for the research and please keep me posted if you learn more as I
believe this is probably not an isolated occurrence in the industry,
probably not by a long-shot.

> All the best,
> Robin

Poland.

the subject line.

>> Disclaimer
>> Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare
information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by
the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts
do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant
Conservation Alliance.

> Robin Alton Suggs
> MoonBranch Botanicals
> 5294 Yellow Creek Road
> Robbinsville, North Carolina 28771
> USA
>
> Telephone: 828.479.2788
> moonbranch at earthlink.net
> www.moonbranch.com
>
> Member:
> American Herbalist Guild
> Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project; Farm Partner
> Co-op America
> Green Products Alliance
> National Network of Forest Practitioners
> North Carolina Consortium on Natural Medicines
> North Carolina Goodness Grows/NCDA&CS
> North Carolina Natural Products Association
> Southwestern North Carolina RC&D Council
> United Plant Savers
>

> "Western civilization is based on the philosophical error that
manipulative science is the truth"