[MPWG] Fw: SEED Initiative - Newsletter Issue 1 - Summer 2009

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Jul 14 08:32:56 CDT 2009

Sharing a new newsletter with you.  The links don't work when I forward
the e-mail, so you'll have to go to the website (<http://www.seedinit.org/
>) and look for the hyperlinked items mentioned in the newsletter below.
Here are some highlights that I thought might interest MPWG:

SEED Awards
Note that there have been no SEED award winners in North America -
unfortunately, this is because SEED focuses only on "developing"
countries:
"The SEED Awards for Entrepreneurship in Sustainable Development is an
annual international competition, designed to support locally-led,
innovative, entrepreneurial partnerships in developing countries which
have the potential to make real improvements in poverty eradication and
environmental sustainability."

That said, SEED does have information that is useful for us here in the
U.S./North America.

The "Entrepreneurs toolkit," with "tools and processes helpful to social
and environmental enterprises" of various kinds, has several interesting
topics:
Under "Marketing:"
Consumer market: North America
Consumer market: USA
Retail Product Opportunities: USA
Sustainable Products
Markets for Sustainable Products in Canada and the USA
  Under "NTFPs"
Not much there

Publications:
Critical Success Factors and Performance Measures for Start-up Social and
Environmental Enterprises (IISD: Boyer, Creech & Paas, June 2008)  "Eight
critical success factors and fourteen performance indicators identified
through this investigation (44 pages) form the basis for a robust rapid
assessment process for social and environmental enterprises. Such a
process can be self directed by the enterprise leaders, to determine in
the early stages of their development whether they have the critical
elements in place for successful growth."
Leadership
Partnerships
Proof and clarity of innovative concept..
Business planning and marketing
Triple bottom line planning
Short and long term benefits management
Community engagement
Risk management

Recognition and Reward Programmes that support Entrepreneurship for
Sustainable Development (IISD: Paas & Creech, April 2008)

Thank you,
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 07/14/2009 08:54
AM -----

"SEED Initiative" <newsletter at seedinit.org>
07/14/2009 04:00 AM
Please respond to
newsletter at seedinit.org

"Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov" <Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov>
cc

Subject
SEED Initiative - Newsletter Issue 1 - Summer 2009

Having trouble reading this email? View it on your browser . Not
interested anymore? Unsubscribe instantly .

SEED Awards 2009
SEED announces the 2009 Winners     Read more...

Send Email to SEED
Unsubscribe click here .
Forward this email .

Issue 1 / Summer 2009
This edition:
We are delighted to present you with our first SEED newsletter.
Over the last few years SEED has grown its programme significantly and we
are keen now to engage actively with our audience on our activities and
progress. To this end, we intend to publish the newsletter quarterly. It
will feature the Latest Highlights, and provide updates on the SEED
Winners and on our Research and Learning, Events and Publications .
We sincerely hope that you will find the newsletter of interest. To help
us to understand what works for our readers, we would be grateful for any
feedback. Please send it to newsletter at seedinit.org.

News at SEED
SEED?s development
Since it was founded in 2002, SEED has continuously evolved its programmes
of awards and of research and learning. At the beginning, there were just
5 SEED Award Winners every 2 years but the SEED Board decided in 2008 to
make the SEED Awards a yearly event. This year, 20 Winners have received
SEED Awards.

Entrepreneurs toolkit
Beyond the annual SEED Award, the SEED Initiative works to learn from the
experiences of the individual start-ups to derive tools and guidance that
can be helpful for all entrepreneurs who are aiming to deliver social and
environmental benefits. The latest tool, a major online resource developed
by SEED in partnership with the International Institute for Sustainable
Development (IISD) and the Commission on Environmental Cooperation of
North America (CEC) was launched at the UN Commission on Sustainable
Development (CSD) (see Events and Publications). Set up as a wiki, at
www.entrepreneurstoolkit.org , this tool is designed so that social and
environmental entrepreneurs around the world can share their experience
with setting up and running their businesses.The wiki is ready to be used
and we invite entrepreneurs to add their own knowledge. Read more....
Website development
SEED has now developed a new website; http://www.seedinit.org/. We would
greatly appreciate your feedback (admin at seedinit.org )

SEED Winners
2009 Winners
During the SEED reception at the annual meeting of the CSD, we announced
20 SEED Winners for 2009, from a record pool of 1140 applicants. The
winning partnerships are again truly innovative start-ups in the
developing world. SEED once again offers its congratulations to these
Winners and looks forward to working together to bring about sustainable
development through entrepreneurship. For the press release please click
here.
Over the next 3 months, each of these 20 winners will receive a package
worth $5000 to assist with business planning and developing a growth
strategy. Then, in late August, the International Jury will select 10 Gold
Winners from the 20 Winners. The Gold Winners will receive about $35,000
worth of tailored support, networking and profiling, over a period of
about 9 months. By the end of that time, they should be well on the road
to getting established. For more information about the SEED Awards,
including how to apply, click here.
Past Winners
2008 SEED Winner in Thailand, Andaman Discoveries, selected as finalist in
the BBC World Challenge 09. Read more....

Events and Publications

UN Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD)
SEED was delighted to participate in the annual UN Commission on
Sustainable Development (CSD) event in New York in May, where we ran
events in the Partnerships Fair and the Learning Centre. One of the
highlights for us was the SEED reception, where the 2009 SEED winners were
announced. Taking advantage of the concentration of national delegations
engaged in the CSD, the reception was intended to direct the collective
attention of the conservation and development community to the
contributions local entrepreneurs are making to attaining international
sustainable development objectives. This was brought alive by having
representatives of each of the 2008 winning partnerships at the reception;
they used the opportunity to describe policy actions that from their
perspective would help budding social and environmental entrepreneurs to
establish and scale-up.
We were pleased to have as the speakers Gerda Verburg, the Chair of the
CSD and the Netherlands Minister of Agriculture; Olav Kjørven, Assistant
Administrator of UNDP; German State Secretary, Matthias Machnig; Julia
Marton-Lefèvre, Director General of IUCN; and Achim Steiner, Executive
Director of UNEP.
Read more?

Annual Report
SEED has released its first Annual Report chronicling the Initiative?s
main activities and achievements for the period May 2006 ? December 2008.
The Report provided the opportunity for SEED to not only profile its
recent successes, but also to review progress leading up to the expanded
programme in 2008, as well as briefly to preview 2009 and beyond. To
download the Annual Report click here.

Research and Learning
A central and defining feature of SEED's programme is its commitment to
research and learning from the experience of our winners. The
International Institute for Sustainable Development, which carries out the
research on behalf of SEED, has produced several major reports that distil
out key findings from SEED?s 2006-8 Research Programme. The reports are:
Critical Success Factors and Performance Measures for Start-up Social and
Environmental Enterprises (IISD: Boyer, Creech & Paas, June 2008)
Scale-up and replication for Social and Environmental Enterprises (IISD:
Creech, June 2008)
Typologies for Partnerships for Sustainable Development and for Social and
Environmental Enterprises: Exploring SEED winners through two lenses
(IISD: Creech & Paas, June 2008)
Recognition and Reward Programmes that support Entrepreneurship for
Sustainable Development (IISD: Paas & Creech, April 2008)
These are disseminated to the wide community of social and environmental
entrepreneurs and to policy- and decision-makers. From these reports, a
number of support tools have been developed. Read more...

SEED Insights
The SEED Insights summarise the lessons and knowledge gained to make them
readily accessible for practitioners. The Insights cover 3 themes:
1.      Starting and growing a venture
2.      Monitoring and assessing progress
3.      Information and recommendations for policy- and decision-makers
Read more?

Home | About | News | Awards | Research & Learning | Entrepreneur Support
Contact | Terms | Sitemap
Copyright The SEED Initiative. All rights reserved.