[MPWG] sustainable Boswellia? - CITES and IUCN

Josef Brinckmann brink at sonic.net
Thu Dec 17 22:31:47 CST 2009

Patricia,
According to Ved and Goraya (2008) Demand and Supply of Medicinal Plants in India, the air-dried oleo-gum-resin exudate in obtained only from wild trees by making incisions in the bark of the stems and/or thick branches - with an estimated annual trade volume of 500 to 1,000 metric tons of the obtained gum resin. In India, the exudate, known as Kunduru, is used mainly in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. The wild populations are found in forests from Punjab to West Bengal and in peninsular India. The English standard common name is Indian Franincense in both the United States and European Union. I'm not aware of other botanical name synonyms. It is listed in Herbs of Commerce and there are official quality standards monographs in Europe and Asia uses only this Latin binomial.

Josef