[MPWG] organic farming threatened by Monsanto : seed rights and pesticides!

Lindsey Tuominen lktuomin at mtu.edu
Wed Dec 9 09:25:27 CST 2009

Myron--

This would seem to be a cause for concern.  Which parts of the bill should we cite as being particularly problematic?  I pulled up the bill here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875

...and I am having trouble finding any reference in the bill to organic farming or regulation of plants that will not be for sale.  I know people have ways of hiding things in the legalese, but it would help to argue against it if we knew which specific clauses are the problem.  The senators themselves, who typically have little to no scientific background, may not realize that this bill is troublesome to organic farming at all if someone who *does* have such training can't figure it out!

Thanks,

Lindsey Tuominen
Doctoral Candidate, Forest Resources
The University of Georgia