[MPWG] looking for info on herbal substitutes to seahorses and turtles for article

Courtney Cavaliere Courtney at herbalgram.org
Thu Aug 13 12:35:07 CDT 2009

Hello! My name is Courtney Cavaliere, and I am the managing editor of
HerbalGram, the quarterly journal of the American Botanical Council. I
am currently working on an HerbalGram article about animal-based
medicines and efforts that have been made to substitute herbs for some
animal species. I intend to profile a few specific animals within the
article (noting how those species have been used in traditional
medicines, how poaching of those animals has affected their populations,
and what herbs have been promoted as replacements for them in
medicines). So far, I have found plenty of information on tigers,
rhinos, and bears. I am hoping to also profile turtles and seahorses in
my article, but I have not yet found much information regarding
potential herbal substitutes for those animal species. I am hoping that
someone from the MPWG listserv might be able to assist me. If you happen
to be personally familiar with the subject of botanical alternatives to
seahorses and/or turtles for medicinal use, I would definitely love to
speak with you. Alternatively, if you are not personally familiar with
this topic but could recommend someone else who might be a good source,
I would certainly appreciate that information as well. Thank you!

~Courtney Cavaliere

Managing Editor

American Botanical Council

P.O. Box 144345